Arohena was originally a saw-milling district and is now a productive farming district with dairy, sheep, beef and deer farms.
There is a large district hall, a Church and a playcentre, all built and established by community efforts.
The local Marae is Aotearoa Marae and is located on Aotearoa Road.
Arohena is very centrally located and of the local towns, Putaruru, Mangakino, Te Awamutu and Otorohanga, Te Awamutu is the main service town for most residents. The larger centres are all approximately an hours drive away – Taupo, Rotorua, Tauranga and Hamilton.
Arohena School was established in 1929 and during the boom times has had a roll of 70 to 80 children and a staff of three teachers. For most of its history, Arohena has been a ‘two teacher' school, catering for New Entrants to Year 8.
Currently the school is staffed with a Principal, three teachers and a music teacher.
The school facilities consist of three classrooms, a computer suite, a library with a computerised accession system, office and staff room plus two tennis / netball courts, an adventure playground, rugby / soccer field, native bush and a swimming pool. We encourage community use of the tennis / netball courts the swimming pool, multipurpose room and the library.